My day began with a visit to our school (which starts on Monday). Apparently they arbitrarily decided to stick me with fifth and sixth grade science content... Lets just say I wasn't too thrilled about it at first. I am coming to terms with it. It will definitely be an interesting experience. I get to teach content in English that the students have already learned in Spanish. Thank god, because I was under the impression I would be teaching about photosynthesis in English for content and language. I mean, I can't explain that topic very well in any language! Apparently I am currently not smarter than a fifth grader. I bet I will be after this year. Bring it on Jeff Foxworthy!
Well on that note, I must also say that I had an amazing lunch today. Maccarones al Horno and ___________. Just guess. I will give you a hint, it begins with a C and ends with an A. Croquetas! This lunch was most definitely needed after I was blindsided by my school. I mean come on! I left SHOES at home to fit books that I won't be using (but I will be sharing, don't worry Mom!) in my $125+ suitcases (Thanks Dad!).
After lunch, we wandered aimlessly around Madrid. I once again resisted buying cute little house decorating knick-knacks and instead went on a quest inspired by a fellow member of my group. I determined that I needed/wanted a Spanish dictionary. I have a gigantic one at home, but this would've weighed at least twice as much as my children's books (ha. ha. ha.) and that I needed a little one. Of course I make this realization during the siesta hour. For those of you don't know the Spanish schedule, do NOT try to do anything important during this time. No lie. I mean this is important stuff that I couldn't get done!
Anyways, off we go to this little whole in the wall book store. I was impressed by their seamless mix of English/Spanish, and also by their confusing basement. Well Nina (Oh yes, this is a shout-out) tried to go down the stairs lined with books, lets just say she didn't get very far. Well I managed to locate a wide array of dictionaries, including German-Spanish, French-German, and alas Spanish! However, all I saw were those larger than life copies. I just wanted one to throw in my bag. So I asked the guy if he had anymore small dictionaries. Here is the kicker in my loosely translated response: "We ran out and we don't sell anymore when they are out." Oh that is right FORGET supply and demand. That just doesn't work. They are out. I said a little gracias and went on my merry way.
We continued on our walk to Chueca, which is a very well known neighborhood in Spain. I had been discouraged since my last bookstore visit, and I was VERY excited to see a bookstore open. Time to get my Spanish dictionary! I threw open the door and ran inside. When I walked in, I was greeted by book covers of naked men and other VERY inappropriate things. I then scanned the room and saw mostly men checking out the different "literary" selections that are available. I do a quick turnaround, and as if to say goodbye, I noticed several Rainbow flags heralding me as I dash out the door. I apparently forgot where I was, because Chueca is the gay neighborhood.
This is just another story that I feel I should share because I have no shame. I have become a bigger klutz in Spain. I didn't think this was possible, but indeed it was. I think it is just that this beautiful city is overwhelming me! Anyways, I was taking in the this lovely view to my right (as pointed out by my ::cough:: friends) when I walked right into a short (falling below my waist) garbage can. I actually went backwards from the fall, but there was no contact with the ground. In case you can't picture this, just imagine me falling or doing something stupid, and then look at a map of Spain. It will all work out for you.
Oh yeah, and apparently I am the Marilyn Monroe of Spain. What could that possibly mean!
Pues no pasa nada! Hasta luego!
No comments:
Post a Comment