Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Oh, so YOU'RE from the United States


Picture this. Well literally. Look to your left. This is a map of the area by Sol. This is where the bus was supposed to drop me off, but I ended up down some other street. I wandered my way down to Sol <--- PUERTA DEL SOL 

Anyways, I was being all bad *** and I decided to find the Plaza by myself. Plaza Mayor. See left. Oh yeah, and I am really smart and I didn't have a map. 
Ok so there I go, off to the Plaza. Well so I thought. I walked around by Sol, because i knew it was in that general direction.  So I go right on my way, down Calle de Arenal. Oh oops, that doesn't go to Plaza Mayor. That takes me away from the Plaza. 

So there I am ,wandering down a side street, knowing that I am RIGHT near where I needed to be. I am starting to get a little annoyed when I hear some British people blabbing away, but I noticed they were waving a map in their hands. I go Excuse Me! I mean you have to be somewhat polite. I approach them and explain that I am looking for Plaza Mayor. The group is a combo of two older men with their spouses, and they all start rambling about different directions I should go in. Then the man goes,  "We'll take you there!" Off we go down some small street, with one of the woman leading the way. The man continues, "So! You are from the United States aren't you?" in a demeaning voice. I looked at him and said "Oh, what's THAT supposed to mean?" He looked at me and said "Oh I can just tell." I then decided that we were not going anywhere with that conversation, and I asked him where he was from.

"We're from Yook-sheer". I almost commented on how I love Yorkshire Terriors, but I restrained myself. He then continued on about how wonderful Yorkshire is and all that jazz. I wasn't really listening, I was looking for the Plaza. The man was kind enough to add "When you come back to England, you need to come to Yorkshire first." Pft. I am not wasting my money.

Anyways, just when the man is volunteering to go in the wrong direction to accompany me to my direction, I see a big sign with arrows saying PLAZA MAYOR! I say whoa there is my street, nice meeting you! (not) 

Off I go to the Plaza Mayor, only to look at my watch and find that I am 30 minutes late. The group is no longer at the Plaza, they are back at Puerta del Sol.

THE END



3 comments:

npwest said...

you should have told him that you like their sauce...oh! that's worcestershire. Those shires all sound so alike!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a hard life! Mean while back in Tennessee, I wrestling with four goobers and Kari, AKA(Crash Bandikoot!). You need to tell your ma to get you a spanish GPS phone, or "telephono". Wow, try not to tire yourself out galavanting around Madrid. Nice blog by the way. You kool cousin from TN.(GO VOLS!!!) Kevin

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a hard life! Mean while back in Tennessee, I wrestling with four goobers and Kari, AKA(Crash Bandikoot!). You need to tell your ma to get you a spanish GPS phone, or "telephono". Wow, try not to tire yourself out galavanting around Madrid. Nice blog by the way. You kool cousin from TN.(GO VOLS!!!) Kevin