Weather is right up there with Food in dominant conversation topics.
"Man, I broke my foot yesterday but you know what? It's RAINING! I can't believe it thats worse. What did you eat for lunch today?"- A slightly exaggerated but not completely over the top conversation someone may hear on the Metro.
I could be in the middle of teaching a lesson, and I will have a student volunteer her opinion about my inappropriate attire. No, I'm not wearing anything inappropriate, just a standard 3/4 length shirt. Here this elicits conversations, stares, and general awe.
Why aren't you covering your wrists! They are clearly the most important heat-containing part of the body! Ay Dios Mio!
Regardless, the recent return from the States has heralded the grand return of my winter clothing, and the end of the harassment from the weathermen at my school.
Back to today's events. I leave the house, and, as usual, I find myself unaware that it has rained. The ground has this "rained a few hours back" shine about it, and everyone seems to be under the impression that it is STILL raining. I look around and see heads wrapped in scarves, men wearing broad rimmed hats, children with their hoods up, rain boots, umbrellas, anything rain related.
I look around and hold my hand up in the sky as I exit my building, just to see if my curls have been absorbing this apparent downpour that is occurring. Nope, hair is dry, no rain! I walk to the bus stop and as I approach, I question why there appears to be nobody waiting by the street to wave down a bus. I come closer and I see a huddle under the bus stop.
I'm sorry, but it is NOT raining! No need to get all claustrophobic for no reason!
I brave the elements and stand outside of the shed and wave down my bus.
As I "dry off" on the bus, I notice the continuing out-POURING of umbrellas. I sit and think to myself, I clearly am either overly prepared (for sun) or underprepared (for rain). I went off to school laughing at myself and at others, only to be in for a pleasant surprise.
YUP. It rained. It actually poured, poured to the point that the patio was not utilized during recess. That means all the kiddos were held hostage in their classrooms. I got far away from there!
I did not leave the school to get my usual Cafe con leche. And this was because I did not have an umbrella. The irony!
I spent all morning mocking these Spainards, and in the end they all made it to their cafes for cafe con leche while I sat in the teacher's room contemplating the meaning of being prepared for the weather.
Props to the Spainards! I still don't have a decent umbrella but you aren't going to be hearing ni una palabra from me next time there is questionable weather!
No comments:
Post a Comment