As an ESL teacher, I really have to guard what comes out of my mouth.
I find kids showing me random stuff, such as rocks, Jonas Brothers posters and random mandarins. In response, they want me to ooooo and ahhh and remark on how great all their items are.
I am used to this outpouring of "Look at me!" from the states. Kids tend to be very self-centered. However, I am still trying to pick my language wisely, and this has brought me to the realization of the temperature related comments that we make in the English language.
"Teacher! Look at my shoe!"
"COOL! (Wait, that kid has NO idea what I just said)
"Teacher! ¿paidofmadfpaidfifama?"
"Cool! (Accompained by a head nod and a note to myself to work on this kid´s pronounciation)
This OBVIOUSLY was at the beginning of the year. I have now mastered the use of the words great, wonderful, awesome.
However, think about the confusing temperature-related words that exist in various idioms.
Variations of Hot
MAN, he is HOT
Looking hot!
Man that %&$! is HOT
Variations of Cold:
That professor gave me a cold stare
Man that is COOL!
Couldn´t hot be used in the same context?
Cold Shoulder
Here are some more usages that I found at http://www.english-test.net/esl/learn/english/grammar/ii018/esl-answers.php
I've just received his latest detective novel from the publisher so it's what you might call hot off the press.
Although I'd made up my mind to do it last night now I'm not sure and am getting cold feet about it.
As soon as the president was taken ill, the deputy had to take charge and is currently in the hot seat now.
The police have set up a special hot line so that people can get in touch to find out about the accident.
Aren´t all these phrases COOL! This blog is HOT!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment