Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Life is a Cigarillo

As you all know, Spaniards loveeeee their tobacco. They love it to the point where their laws have only reached the early- to mid 90´s in the USA, where smoking areas are "required" in certain parts of restaurants  and bars. Yeah, right, like smoke doesn`t travel.

I have had countless clouds of smoke blown into my face, numerous cigarettes thrown right next to my feet, and several people ask me if I have "fuego."

No, I do not have fire. Nor do I have a desire to infect my lungs with that awful smoke.

Thanks anyways.

Well, despite being in Spain, I am still seeking to stay fit and healthy. I have joined a gym. My gym is great, it`s right down the street from my house. It has limited equipment, but its proximity makes it a no-brainer. If I walk by it with no intention of going, it haunts me.

 The only thing about my gym is that it confuses me. One joins a gym to be healthy, and to improve their standard of life. So can someone explain to me ,why, in between lifting weights and running on the treadmill, people are outside smoking?? Doesn`t that counteract any sort of excercise that takes place? I just don`t understand.

The owner is the most frequent smoker of the bunch. I find this to be a wonderful way of advertising.

Come to my gym!! We can take smoke breaks!

I don`t understand.

Another type of person who I don`t understand, besides the excercising smoker, is the one whose voice has been destroyed or hindered by their excessive smoking. Do you need further proof that smoking is destroying your body? Isn`t it a constant reminder every time you open your mouth?

Today at the bar, I heard what could only be described as an old man`s voice who had a cigarette inserted into their throat and who spoke whilst gargling.

Nope, it was a middle-aged woman. What was she asking for??

That`s right.

A cigarillo......


Spain is different.

No comments: