Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Working Population

Today I was tackling the Working Population in my 6th grade class.

I have covered this topic before, with extensive focus on the primary, secondary and tertiary work sectors.

However, before we get to that we must cover the Economically Active Population.

This includes the

Employed and Unemployed.

Employed people have jobs, such as the florist, the dentist, the doctor, oh and ME! The kids said that I am employed, and I just chose to agree with them. Of course I am "employed", I am at the school as much as the full time teachers are! I'm just not getting paid, hm does that affect my work status?


I then asked about Unemployed. This is the bracket I would actually fall into, or that of the Non-Active Population, but I am not the focus of this conversation, we already determined that I have a "job"

We figure out what Unemployed means through dictionaries, and my wonderful acting. However, looking back on it, I realize many of the teachers actually do that sometimes!

I sat on a chair and didn't talk, and sat and stared at the students. I asked the students if I was doing a good job or a bad job. A few said bad, others just probably thought I was resting.

I stood back up and started saying that I would get fired (pointed to the board) because I wasn't doing my job. I said that if I am NOT doing my work, I get fired. I kept emphasizing I am NOT doing my work, I will be fired. I even shook my finger in the air, and slapped myself on the wrist. Yeah I am in pretty BIG trouble.

The kids figured out through my amazing acting skills what fired meant, although they were probably confused by the base of the word fire. Hmmm , I do bet that would be a successful method of getting someone out of the workplace!

No comments: