Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Smooth Sailing in Spain! (Wait am I REALLY still here?!)

Today had to be one of the smoothest days ever in Spanish history. Well in my Spanish history, which lets face it, is not that long.

This morning began with me jogging over to the copy center to make a few copies for my NIE appointment.

I walked in, walked out. NO PROBLEM.


Next stop, hairdresser. I needed a little trim. Remember the process from last time? Not at all the case today.
I had called ahead, the woman told me "we don't do times, just come on in." First of all, WHAT? I was anticipating a disaster, but I showed up, she greeted me, cut my hair and I was out of there.


Next stop (drum roll please)............... THE EXTRANJERIA!


What is this you ask? Only the home of the application for the NIE! This would be what you have to do when the Visa runs out. That means I'm legal! Well not yet, you have to apply.

I have heard of people sitting here days upon days, hanging out, not having paper work (the website is less than stellar)
http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/extranjeria/modelos_extranje/ex_15.pdf


Anyways, Lindsay and I got all our paperwork together yesterday at school, I made the copies, all set.

We show up and we are definitely not on the 1400 roster. No big deal.... we hope? We look back a few hours and find LNTSY WLAMS and MGHAN HNNC listed at 1200pm. Whoopsies!

We point out the versions of our names to the police officer, who smiles and shakes his head. I am worried at this point. Thank god the nice guy was assisting us, the other one could have cared less when our names weren't on the list. He was too busy texting the queen or somebody important on his cellphone.

The guy said "No pasa nada" SIGH OF RELIEF and gave us numbers. They were on 30 when we arrived, our numbers were 35 and 36. We were at the "mesas" within 10 minutes of waiting.

We bring all our paperwork in to the desk, and the woman asks for the letter from Simmons, passport photos, the copy of the visa and the form. Ya esta!

She gets our finger prints, we sign a little form and SHABAM we are out of there.

I had to pinch myself. Am I STILL in Spain? Did something actually happen efficiently? The walk to the bus stop confirmed I was still here when there was an old man sitting on a park bench blasting some random interesting Spanish music on an old radio.

What a hoot!