Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yes we did!

Elections in the United States were and are a huge topic of discussion here in Spain.

As I mentioned in my earlier blogs, the elections were a huge deal here in Madrid. Whenever the opportunity presented itself, I found myself "subtly" (as far as Spainards can go) being asked who I supported in the elections. Everyone I spoke to here seemed very interested in my opinion, and I was more than happy to oblige

The excitement built as the elections neared. I wore my Obama/Biden pin proudly on my jacket, and I decided to build some lessons around this important event

My 3rd graders class was as following.

I wave a newspaper in the air with a picture of Obama and McCain. I ask them who they are. Most of the students not only know who they are, but they know their first names. This is a legit shocker. We proceed to talk about how they want to be president, and how we have to VOTE (yeah big word there) for our next leader. The students came up and voted on my white board (no ballots for these kiddos!) and it was a top secret. Well I tried to make it a top secret, but my little friends in the front row somehow seemed to see how the tallies were doing at any location. Needless to say, Obama won in a landslide.

I was pleased.


My 4th graders kept asking me about Obama, and I incorporated it into the "How are you?" business that I do everyday. I was happy that Obama won. I then explained a little bit of voting and we had some talks about Democrats and Republican. I didn't have much time to work with them due to the exciting nature of our rock classifying conversations.

6th grade is where all the fun was had. We talked about Democrats and Republicans and I reviewed the main talking points of each candidate. Health care, War and Taxes. They seemed down with all this ( I kept it basic). We talked about the meaning of "running" for president, and had several stimulating classes on the Electoral College. No lie. I had students jumping out of their seats guessing how many votes each state had. I also attempted to draw the continental United States. Hawaii consisted of a few circles while Alaska was some odd shape. However, the kids got the idea.

Barack Obama also won in a landslide victory. I believe the final vote was something like 25-1. And there was a vote for the majority in there somewhere? I am not sure exactly what that confused vote meant.

Anyways, the eve of election night (morning) was long and exciting. I napped for most of the afternoon before embarking off to the Circulo de Bellas Artes. There was a long line surrounding the building, apparently they sold one too many tickets. Ok maybe a few more than one too many. I didn't really have to wait in line due to my late arrival. 1am hollaaaa.

So upon entrance into the Circulo, I am embraced by Democrat loving. Huge television screens are broadcasting CNN and MSNBC, and people around me are decked out in Obama shirts. What could be better?

The evening progresses as I stand gathered with a mixed Spanish/American crowd, everyone eagerly awaiting the results. As they started coming in, the excitement kept building.

I had my fingers crossed for most of the evening (evidence upon lack of blood flow) while waiting for the Virginia results. When they finally came in, I was a good 2 feet off the ground. My feet hurt for the next few days, but I all could do was jump up and down for a few minutes. It was an amazing feeling.

Shortly after the Virginia results were announced (5am more or less here in Madrid) they announced that "CNN projection" business about Obama winning the election! Joyful Joyful.

Everyone was yelling, screaming, jumping, drinking, singing (hey we're in Spain people) and the level of excitement was unimaginable. I do not remember feeling that happy in a longggggg time.

Needless to say, everyone who was there at that point lasted until they kicked us out of the place at 6am. I was exhausted the next day (5 coffees in 2 hour span) but it was completely worth it. Apparently I had a huge smile on my face the whole day, one of the teachers at my school asked me if Obama was my new boyfriend. Well of course!

Election Day '08 was a shining moment in my life and in my time here thus far in Spain. As I sit here typing this two weeks later, it still brings a smile to my face.  This monumental election also renews my pride to be here in Spain, an American abroad.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The election sure sounds like it was an AMAZING experience for you in Madrid... somehting you will surely always remember! I live reading your entires--- they really make me feel as if I am there. I can't wait to visit you in Spain!!