Thursday, October 2, 2008

Como se dice....

I am on a mission to not have people stare at me or ask me to repeat things when I speak Spanish. While I am currently pursuing a Spanish Course (hopefully an advanced one!), I am also seeking conversations in Spanish.

My roommates are great for conversing in English and reminiscing about the states. But in terms of cultural diversity and practicing Spanish, I have broadened my horizons.

Just to clarify AGAIN for certain people (cough tom100) who don't seem to understand this process, I will review the process.
1) Oh hmmm I need to practice my Spanish. Maybe I should look for an intercambio.
2) Well I should post on lingobongo.com, or loquo.com or craigslist.es. 
3) Here is my clever post about how croquetas are amazing and how I want to practice language!
4) Oh man my inbox has been bombarded with lots of random emails. I better spend time going through them and finding some good ones.
5) These people seem legit, lets meet up at Sol. Maybe at the oso! 
6) Lets text each other and find out what they are wearing, then find the mystery person.
7) OH YOU! Well you seem nice, lets have a language exchange!

I have had several results that vary from this point. 

1) One person who forced me to have to explain what Lifestar is. No lie. I also resorted to comparing the dogs in Spain and in the United States, a subject on which I am well versed. We didn't get very far, because this guy doesn't have a dog.

2) Nice, conversation stalls a bit. However, the learning is there and mission accomplished!

3) Wow we actually have more things to talk about than "What is the hardest thing for you about Spanish/English", maybe we should be "biffles" like Holly and Caroline! 

Needless to say, I have been on an intercambio every night of this week. I don't know how it happened, but apparently I overcommitted myself. It is good to try to brush up OUTSIDE of school. Then maybe the teachers during lunch will say WHOA! Meghan isn't asking us "Como se dice" anymore!

That will be the day.


Well in other exciting school news, I got to talk about the Reproductive System again today! However, this class had a bit of trouble pronouncing the V instead of the typical Spanish B pronunciation of V. Following?

So I had to walk around going Va-Va-Va while pressing my teeth down on my lower lips. So after biting my lip a few times, the kids finally seemed to get the beginning of the word.

Next step is the G sound, which just doesn't happen in the Spanish pronunciation of vagina. So there I go again, Va-Va-Va, G-G-G, -ina. I had the whole class doing this with me. Then we pieced the word together, and I had them say it aloud as a class. 

As a review/recap of the day, we went over Reproductive System(yeah that pronunciation just isn't happening) and the different attributes of Male/Female. What does a Female have? A vagina. Thanks kids! I'm glad that one is in your head. They got stuck on the Male side of things... I had to prompt this kid to say penis. Literally. Girls have a Vagina, Boys have a ______. Blank stare. I sure wasn't about to motion that one! Thank god for the peanut gallery ( the other 29 students who knew what was up) who filled him and helped him magically think of it! Brilliant.

Well I think that is enough of science babble. We don't need to go into precipices and plains and valleys. I will mention the mountains aspect of my science today. I taught the kids part of "She'll Be Coming round the Mountain" to help them pronounce Mountain. I mean, the word repeats itself pretty much every line. So it should stick in the students' heads right? Nooooo they liked the Yee-Haw! I guess that is a cooler word.

Sooo Yee-Haw tomorrow is Friday and I don't have to stay at school until 5pm! (Oh thats right 9-5, yee-haw!)

And one last thing, I bought Skype Credit so if you get a random phone call from an Unlisted number, Soy Meghan! 


1 comment:

Kelly said...

ahhh the repro system, i love it. If anyone truly appreciates it, its the person that sticks her arm up cow's butts.

on another note, i was so upset i missed your call last night, but thanks for the message! I was actually teaching A&P lab at the time... discussing skin and groin and armpit hair among other things. Call again sometime! Miss you lots as always :) but i guess i will have to settle with spending quality time with tom and nance at the wedding instead.