Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Words from the Wise

My students are wise beyond their years, as evidenced by these bits of conversation from class:

"Lets see if we have common sense today."- Teacher (en espaƱol)
"What's that?"- Smart@$$
"What you lack"- Teacher

Question of the Day:
"Can you______"

"Can you flee" (Can you fly?)
The student probably could flee quite easily, but this is quite a different skill than fly.

"Can you play swim?"
I don't know, can you?

"When is _____________" (Typical answer: When is your birthday? When is Christmas? When is Semana Santa?)

I saw a student in the back pouring over pages in the dictionary. I was very anxious to see what he was looking up, as he was working very hard. What was he searching for exactly? Still not sure, but this is what he said:

"When is your end time to make pooh?" 

"Do you________" (Do you like chocolate? Do you have a sister?..)
"Do you have a dog?"- Student 1
"Yes I can!"- Student 2

Clearly confusing do and can.

"What is your favorite music?"- 8 year old student
"My favorite music IIIIIs music of heavy metal"- Supposedly 8 year old student.
Another student was a fan of music of classical.

                After a particularly long wait-time (waiting for them to stop talking and shredding erasers (oh sorry "rubbers") long enough for them to listen)

"Are you bad with me?"- Student

Definitely NOT, however, I am mad at you.

In an effort to gain further control of the class, I have established classroom rules. They are your typical bunch of rules- Listen, Participate, Sit in your seat, Don't stand up...

No smoking? So many people DO smoke here, perhaps my student felt it was a necessary addition.
Stand up your hand! Yes, worth a try for sure... or you can try to raise your hand.
No spray perfume! Oh right... the adolescents reek and the teachers have brought in multiple bottles of overpowering air-freshener.. gag!

Outside of class the students are also chatty, and feel the need to talk to me all the time. Granted, we don't get much farther than the greeting and my favorite color- but it's still a treat.

 Today was Carnaval, and many of my students were dressed up as part of the chorus rehearsal. They wanted attention, but didn't know how to explain their outfits to me or give me a clue as to why they were dressed up as cowboys/cowgirls. I learned these as I was surrounded by a hoard of 4th graders today.

MEGANNNN!!! Big smiles.

Me. ???? Ohhh you look beautiful!

More smiles.... No words.. yet.. Then they chime in.

Oh yes! Coro! Cant-ahr (strong r, you know the ENGLISH way.) Making the R strong automatically turns it into an English word. Claro.

Cowgirl?

Eh?

Beautiful! Awesome!

End of conversation.



Do you like this blog?
Yes I like.


(Si, me gusta.)



Adios!